Winchester National Cemetery was established on land appropriated for burials during the Civil War. Although the land was used for burial purposes as early as 1862, the cemetery was not officially dedicated until April 8, 1866, and the land was not legally transferred to the U.S. government until Dec. 1, 1870, when Jacob Baker was paid $1,500 for the 4.89-acre tract and the deed was signed and executed.
Winchester National Cemetery contains 15 monuments, most commemorating units that fought in the battles of the Shenandoah Valley during the Civil War.
The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Open daily from dawn to dusk.
- 401 National Avenue
Winchester, VA 22601
- (540) 825-0027