The Civil War Trails sign at Star Fort is on one of the last remaining defensive forts ringing the city of Winchester.
Three times during the Civil War, Star Fort played a major role in the defense of Winchester. The fort itself was first artillery emplacements for Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson in 1861. The Star Fort was built on this site in January 1863 by Union General Robert H. Milroy and his men. Its location commanded the Martinsville Turnpike and Pughtown Rd.
The Star Fort site is owned by the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
- 503 Fortress Drive
Winchester, VA 22603
- (540) 740-4545