COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
Safer at Home Order
PLEASE NOTE: Wearing a face covering is MANDATORY when in most indoor settings in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
There are no local or statewide restrictions on lodging in Winchester and Frederick County. Our major hotel properties are open and accepting reservations.
Several of our smaller boutique properties have chosen to temporarily remain closed. Please check with individual properties before booking.
Please understand that many amenities you may be used to, like continental breakfast, exercise facilities and pools, may be limited or unavailable. The staff and ownership at each property are doing their absolute best to provide the best experience possible while staying safe and abiding by local and state reopening guidelines.
Special Offerings and Now Open (last updated September 29)
• Restaurants, wineries, and breweries are open to serve patrons at outdoor seating, and indoor seating with social distancing. Bar seating is still prohibited. Most are also still continuing take-out, delivery, or curbside pickup.
• Non-essential retail businesses are open. Please continue to practice social distancing, wear masks, and respect individual businesses’ policies to keep staff and customers safe.
The Top of Virginia Regional Chamber has created a Take Out and Delivery Options Facebook group with local restaurant offerings. Old Town Winchester has created a webpage directory with details on restaurants and shops in Old Town.
• The Family Drive-In Theatre is open at reduced capacity with social distancing requirements.
• Rocking S Ranch horseback riding is open, 10am-6pm, reservations required. Magic Mountain Farm horseback riding open 10am-dusk, reservations required. Walking After Midnight Farm horseback riding is open 9am-5pm by appointment.
• The Apparition Trail is offering modified ghost tours of Old Town Winchester. Reservations required.
• OUTDOOR RECREATION:
Sherando Park, Clearbrook Park, Jim Barnett Park, Third Winchester Battlefield Park, Kernstown Battlefield, Lake Frederick, Cove Campground, the Tuscarora Trail, the Winchester Green Circle, State Arboretum of Virginia, the gardens at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park, and the George Washington National Forest are open for outdoor recreation use of their trails, boating, and fishing. Please note certain facilities, such as restrooms, may not be available at this time. See our Sports and Outdoors page for more information, or view our Map and Guide to Natural Places.
• The outdoor pool at Jim Barnett Park is open with reduced capacity. (reservations required, 540-662-4946)
• Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive is open.
• Our farm markets are open, including West Oaks Farm Market, Richards Fruit Market, The Homestead Farm (July 11), Virginia Farm Market, Freight Station Farmers Market, Shen-Val Farm Market, Shawnee Springs Farm Market, Sonrise Flower Farm, and Marker-Miller Farm Market.
• The Apple Blossom Mall is open with reduced hours, 11-7 Mon-Sat and Sun 12-6.
• Shenandoah Valley Civil War Museum is open Mon-Sat 10-5, and Sun 1-5.
• Kernstown Battlefield is open for tours on Sat and Sun, 10-4.
• Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park’s Morning Attack Trails and a temporary visitor facility is open at 8739 Valley Pike, Middletown. The Visitor Contact Station at 7712 Main Street and the Park Headquarters Building at 8639 Valley Pike are still closed.
• Museum of the Shenandoah Valley‘s gardens and galleries are open, including the outdoor exhibition, Big Bugs.
• Abram’s Delight, Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters and Washington’s Office Museum are open Mon-Sat 10-4 and Sun 12-4.
• Belle Grove Plantation‘s Manor House and grounds are open for tours, limited to 10 persons. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
• Alamo Drafthouse Winchester is open with reduced capacity.
• Handley Regional Libraries are open with special precautions.
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam has now allowed delivery of alcohol for any business with an on-premise license. Please inquire with these establishments regarding delivery options.
• Winchester Brew Works is open for indoor seating, patio seating, curbside pickup, and delivery. Escutcheon Brewing Co, Broken Window Brewing Co (patio seating on weekends) and Alesatian Brewing Co all have indoor seating, and to-go growlers available.
• Winchester Ciderworks’ is open for indoor seating and outside seating on their tasting porch. They offer online ordering and pickup.
• James Charles Winery is open for indoor and outdoor seating.
• Valerie Hill Vineyard & Winery is open for indoor and outdoor seating.
• Briedé Family Vineyards is open Saturdays 1-6, and Sundays 1-5pm with outdoor seating.
• Murphy Beverage, located in Old Town Winchester, is offering delivery for beer and wine from their store.
• Bright Box Theatre (shows starting end of July)
• Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum (purchase tickets in advance online)
• Winchester Little Theatre (offering outdoor and virtual performances)
The following Attractions and Businesses are currently closed:
Information is changing daily, please check with sites directly before visiting.
• Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park (closed, Visitor Contact Station: 7712 Main St., Middletown Virginia, and the Park Headquarters Building: 8639 Valley Pike, Middletown Virginia. The Morning Attack Trail and temporary visitor facility at 8739 Valley Pike is open and accessible to visitors.)
• Patsy Cline Historic House (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
The following Events have been postponed or canceled:
• Winchester Wings & Wheels is cancelled.
• Hop Blossom Craft Beer Festival – June 6 – (cancelled for 2020)
• Shenandoah Conservatory performances – all performances have been canceled for this semester.
• An Evening with Ronnie Milsap has been postponed until April 17, 2021.
This is just a partial list of events, please check our Events Calendar for more updates.
The Winchester-Frederick County Visitor Center and Gift Shop on Pleasant Valley Road has reopened from 9am-5pm daily. Following state and local guidelines and to protect the health of our dedicated team, face coverings are required for all persons coming into the building. If you would prefer, you may call (540) 542-1326 and request information for pickup outside the center.
The Old Town Winchester Welcome Center on Boscawen St is also currently closed, and is reassessing the situation on a weekly basis. We will update this when they announce when they will reopen.
The Virginia Tourism Clear Brook Welcome Center officially reopened on Monday, June 1. This is a state-run facility, please see the Virginia Tourism website for further updates and details on operational modifications.
With the situation evolving rapidly, we encourage the traveling public to seek and heed the latest expert guidance, and to make fact-based travel decisions.
• Currently, there are no domestic travel advisories or restrictions, nor are there advisories or restrictions for Winchester-Frederick County or the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• The U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have issued travel advisories for select foreign countries, including China, Europe, Iran, Ireland, South Korea, United Kingdom, Venezuela, Russia, India, Indonesia, South Africa, and more.
• Public health screenings are in place in 13 domestic airports for many inbound international flights, including Washington Dulles (IAD), Philadelphia (PHL), and Atlanta (ATL).
Public Health and Travel Resources
• US Travel – Domestic travel and national tourism impacts
• Commonwealth of Virginia – statewide updates