COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
Safer at Home Order
As of December 14, Virginia will be under a curfew from 12 midnight to 5am, through January 31. Gatherings are limited to 10 people.
PLEASE NOTE: Wearing a face covering is MANDATORY when in most indoor settings in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
There are no local or statewide restrictions on lodging in Winchester and Frederick County. Our major hotel properties are open and accepting reservations.
Several of our smaller boutique properties have chosen to temporarily remain closed. Please check with individual properties before booking.
Please understand that many amenities you may be used to, like continental breakfast, exercise facilities and pools, may be limited or unavailable. The staff and ownership at each property are doing their absolute best to provide the best experience possible while staying safe and abiding by local and state reopening guidelines.
Special Offerings and Now Open (last updated December 10)
• Restaurants, wineries, and breweries are open to serve patrons at outdoor seating (many are heated), and indoor seating with social distancing. Bar seating is still prohibited. Alcohol is not served after 10pm. Most are also still continuing take-out, delivery, or curbside pickup.
• Non-essential retail businesses are open. Please continue to practice social distancing, wear masks, and respect individual businesses’ policies to keep staff and customers safe.
The Top of Virginia Regional Chamber has created a Take Out and Delivery Options Facebook group with local restaurant offerings. Old Town Winchester has created a webpage directory with details on restaurants and shops in Old Town.
• Rocking S Ranch horseback riding is open, 10am-6pm, reservations required. Magic Mountain Farm horseback riding open 10am-dusk, reservations required. Walking After Midnight Farm horseback riding is open 9am-5pm by appointment.
• The Apparition Trail is offering modified ghost tours of Old Town Winchester. Reservations required.
• OUTDOOR RECREATION:
Sherando Park, Clearbrook Park, Jim Barnett Park, Third Winchester Battlefield Park, Kernstown Battlefield, Lake Frederick, Cove Campground, the Tuscarora Trail, the Winchester Green Circle, State Arboretum of Virginia, the gardens at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park, and the George Washington National Forest are open for outdoor recreation use of their trails, boating, and fishing. Please note certain facilities, such as restrooms, may not be available at this time. See our Sports and Outdoors page for more information, or view our Map and Guide to Natural Places.
• Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive is open.
• Our farm markets are open, including West Oaks Farm Market, Richards Fruit Market, Freight Station Farmers Market, Shen-Val Farm Market, Shawnee Springs Farm Market, and Marker-Miller Farm Market.
• The Apple Blossom Mall is open.
• Shenandoah Valley Civil War Museum is open Mon-Sat 10-5, and Sun 1-5.
• Museum of the Shenandoah Valley‘s galleries and trails are open.
• Belle Grove Plantation‘s Manor House and grounds are open for holiday tours, limited to 10 persons.
• Alamo Drafthouse Winchester is open with reduced capacity and the ability to choose your seats for distancing.
• Handley Regional Libraries are open with special precautions.
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam has now allowed delivery of alcohol for any business with an on-premise license. Please inquire with these establishments regarding delivery options.
• Winchester Brew Works is open for indoor seating, heated patio seating, curbside pickup, and delivery. Escutcheon Brewing Co, Broken Window Brewing Co (patio seating on weekends) and Alesatian Brewing Co all have indoor seating, and to-go growlers available.
• Winchester Ciderworks’ is open for indoor seating and outside heated seating on their tasting porch. They offer online ordering and pickup.
• James Charles Winery is open for indoor and outdoor seating (private fire pit rentals available).
• Valerie Hill Vineyard & Winery is open for indoor and outdoor seating.
• Briedé Family Vineyards is open weekends with heated outdoor seating.
• Murphy Beverage, located in Old Town Winchester, is offering delivery for beer and wine from their store.
• Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum (purchase tickets in advance online, new outdoor sock skating)
• Winchester Little Theatre (offering virtual performances)
The Winchester-Frederick County Visitor Center and Gift Shop on Pleasant Valley Road has reopened from 9am-5pm daily. Following state and local guidelines and to protect the health of our dedicated team, face coverings are required for all persons coming into the building. If you would prefer, you may call (540) 542-1326 and request information for pickup outside the center.
The Old Town Winchester Welcome Center on Boscawen St is also currently closed, and is reassessing the situation on a weekly basis. We will update this when they announce when they will reopen.
The Virginia Tourism Clear Brook Welcome Center is open. This is a state-run facility, please see the Virginia Tourism website for further updates and details on operational modifications.
With the situation evolving rapidly, we encourage the traveling public to seek and heed the latest expert guidance, and to make fact-based travel decisions.
• Currently, there are no domestic travel advisories or restrictions, nor are there advisories or restrictions for Winchester-Frederick County or the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Public Health and Travel Resources
• US Travel – Domestic travel and national tourism impacts
• Commonwealth of Virginia – statewide updates