COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
Safer at Home Order
Governor Ralph Northam has transitioned most of Virginia, including Winchester-Frederick County, to a safer at home order, beginning May 15.
There are no local or statewide restrictions on lodging in Winchester and Frederick County. Our major hotel properties are open and accepting reservations.
Several of our smaller boutique properties have chosen to temporarily remain closed. Please check with individual properties before booking.
Please understand that many amenities you may be used to, like continental breakfast, exercise facilities and pools, may be limited or unavailable. The staff and ownership at each property are doing their absolute best to provide the best experience possible while staying safe and abiding by local and state reopening guidelines.
Special Offerings and Now Open as of May 15
• Restaurants, wineries, and breweries are able to serve patrons at outdoor seating, with 50% capacity. Many require advance reservations. Most are also still continuing take-out, delivery, or curbside pickup.
• Non-essential retail businesses can open at 50% capacity. Please continue to practice social distancing, wear masks, and respect individual businesses’ policies to keep staff and customers safe.
The Top of Virginia Regional Chamber has created a Take Out and Delivery Options Facebook group with local restaurant offerings. Old Town Winchester has created a webpage directory with details on restaurants and shops in Old Town.
• The Family Drive-In Theatre is open at reduced capacity with social distancing requirements.
• Rocking S Ranch horseback riding is open, 10am-6pm, reservations required. Magic Mountain Farm horseback riding open 10am-dusk, reservations required. Walking After Midnight Farm horseback riding is open 9am-5pm by appointment.
• The Apparition Trail is offering modified ghost tours of Old Town Winchester. Reservations required.
• Sherando Park, Clearbrook Park, Jim Barnett Park, Third Winchester Battlefield Park, Kernstown Battlefield, Lake Frederick, Cove Campground, the Tuscarora Trail, the Winchester Green Circle, Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park, and the George Washington National Forest are open for outdoor recreation use of their trails, boating, and fishing. Please note certain facilities, such as restrooms, may not be available at this time. See our Sports and Outdoors page for more information, or view our Map and Guide to Natural Places.
• Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive will start a phased reopening on May 23.
• Most of our farm markets are open, including West Oaks Farm Market, Richards Fruit Market, Virginia Farm Market, Freight Station Farmers Market, Shen-Val Farm Market, Shawnee Springs Farm Market, Sonrise Flower Farm, and Marker-Miller Farm Market (June 1).
• The Apple Blossom Mall is open as of May 15 with reduced hours, 11-7 Mon-Sat and 12-6 Sun.
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam has now allowed delivery of alcohol for any business with an on-premise license. Please inquire with these establishments regarding delivery options.
• Winchester Brew Works is open for curbside growler pickup, local beer delivery through their website, and patio seating at 50% capacity. Escutcheon Brewing Co, Broken Window Brewing Co and Alesatian Brewing Co all have to-go growlers available, although none are currently refilling personal growlers.
Winchester Ciderworks’ outside tasting porch is open at 50% capacity, and they offer online ordering and pickup.
• James Charles Winery is open for outdoor seating at 50% capacity, but encourages bringing your own blankets or lawn chairs. They are open daily for curbside and delivery, 12pm to 5pm.
• Valerie Hill Vineyard & Winery is open for outdoor seating at 50% capacity. Also offering Picnics and Wine to Go.
• Briedé Family Vineyards is open Saturdays and Sundays, 2-5pm for bottle sales and outdoor seating.
• Murphy Beverage, located in Old Town Winchester, is offering delivery for beer and wine from their store.
• Alamo Drafthouse Winchester is offering special online film screenings from the safety of your home, in addition to a takeout menu and “movie night at home” packages. Now also with patio seating.
• Wilkins Shoe Center is offering curbside pickup and free delivery in Winchester/Frederick County for shoe orders, in addition to in-store shopping.
• Winchester Book Gallery offers online ordering. Support small business and have books delivered to your door!
• Visitor and local favorite Bonnie Blue Southern Market and Bakery has started a Kids Lunch Club, to provide a hot, fresh lunch for all local K-12 and college and university students for $3+ tax. Patio seating open.
• West Oaks Farm Market is open and offering call-ahead orders from their cafe that can be picked up from your vehicle. They are also offering free kids meals and 1/2 peck of apples free to families.
• Richard’s Fruit Market is an open air market open 9-5 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, plus any time by appointment, offering curbside pickup.
• Violino Ristorante is open has joined the ranks of restaurants offering curbside pickup, with theirs right behind the restaurant on Indian Alley. Outdoor patio seating by reservation.
• Handworks Gallery in Old Town Winchester has started a really popular Surprise Pick-Me-Up in a Box, where you can set a price, theme and recipient and they’ll put together a gift box and mail it out for you.
The following Attractions and Businesses are currently closed:
Information is changing daily, please check with sites directly before visiting.
• Cedar Creek & Belle Grove National Historical Park (closed, Visitor Contact Station: 7712 Main St., Middletown Virginia, and the Park Headquarters Building: 8639 Valley Pike, Middletown Virginia. The Morning Attack Trail will continue to be open and accessible to visitors.)
• Blandy Farm/State Arboretum of Virginia (trails and grounds closed to the public)
• Winchester Little Theatre (next production has been moved to September)
• AMC Apple Blossom 12 (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
• Alamo Drafthouse Winchester (closed for movies; at-home screenings, takeout/delivery, patio seating available)
• Handley Regional Libraries (closed, all fees waived during this time, many online services available)
• Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (building closed, gardens to open June 23 with David Roger’s Big Bugs exhibit)
• Belle Grove Plantation (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
• Abram’s Delight, Stonewall Jackson’s Headquarters and Washington’s Office Museum (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
• Patsy Cline Historic House (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
• Shenandoah Valley Civil War Museum (closed, will announce opening at a future date)
• Bright Box Theatre (closed, offering some virtual concerts)
The following Events have been postponed or canceled:
• Winchester Wings & Wheels is cancelled.
• The April 2 Newcomer’s Welcome Event has been cancelled. This is a recurring quarterly event, so the July 2 event is still planned.
• Hop Blossom Craft Beer Festival – June 6 – (cancelled for 2020)
• Shenandoah Conservatory performances – all performances have been canceled for this semester.
• All Bright Box Theater performances have been cancelled or postponed. Please check their website for up-to-the-minute information.
• An Evening with Ronnie Milsap has been postponed till Oct 15, tickets are available through this link.
This is just a partial list of events, please check our Events Calendar for more updates.
The Winchester-Frederick County Visitor Center and Gift Shop on Pleasant Valley Road has reopened from 9am-5pm daily. Following state and local guidelines and to protect the health of our dedicated team, face coverings are required for all persons coming into the building. If you would prefer, you may call (540) 542-1326 and request information for pickup outside the center.
The Old Town Winchester Welcome Center on Boscawen St is also currently closed, and is reassessing the situation on a weekly basis. We will update this when they announce when they will reopen.
The Virginia Tourism Clear Brook Welcome Center officially reopened on Monday, June 1. This is a state-run facility, please see the Virginia Tourism website for further updates and details on operational modifications.
With the situation evolving rapidly, we encourage the traveling public to seek and heed the latest expert guidance, and to make fact-based travel decisions.
• Currently, there are no domestic travel advisories or restrictions, nor are there advisories or restrictions for Winchester-Frederick County or the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• The U.S. Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have issued travel advisories for select foreign countries, including China, Europe, Iran, Ireland, South Korea, United Kingdom, Venezuela, Russia, India, Indonesia, South Africa, and more.
• Public health screenings are in place in 13 domestic airports for many inbound international flights, including Washington Dulles (IAD), Philadelphia (PHL), and Atlanta (ATL).
Public Health and Travel Resources
• US Travel – Domestic travel and national tourism impacts
• Commonwealth of Virginia – statewide updates